Random Thoughts by MommaSquid

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Not For the Squeamish

I took hubby to the emergency room on Sunday. He had a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of his lower back and mild abdominal pain. The back pain started out mild, too, but within minutes he was in extreme pain and clearly needed immediate medical attention.

Men do not handle pain very well, so as we drove to the hospital I tried to distract him somewhat.

Me: Do you mind if we stop at Home Depot for a few things first?
Hubby: Oooooooh….ow….mmmmmm.
Me: I guess that’s a no.

The hospital wasn’t very busy and hubby was examined and given Percoset in under 90 minutes. Usually the ER is filled to capacity and the wait can top four hours…thank random chance that wasn’t the case this time.

Once the pain pills started to kick in, they whisked him off for x-rays and a CT scan. Hubby was diagnosed with a kidney stone. Yikes! He was given a lovely medicine to dilate his urethra, a few days worth of pain pills, a container in which to pee, and a strainer to catch the stone.

Approximately 36 hours after the first stab of pain, hubby pissed out the stone. How it came out, I don’t even want to imagine; yet there it was, rock hard in the strainer. He saved it, and the urologist will be testing it tomorrow. Hopefully there is some sort of treatment that will prevent future painful episodes.

I’m not sure how close I want to get to my hubby’s member until he is cured of this malady.

I could lose an eye!

1 Comments:

  • I knew it would be something with the kidney, but for him to be able to pass the stone is a little unusual. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to prevent kidney stones except to remove your kidneys, but then you've got a cure that's worse than the disease.

    Give your hubby a thumbs-up from me for surviving through all that. I've never had to go through that and I don't care to think about it, either.

    Hope all else is going well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home