Random Thoughts by MommaSquid

Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmastime is Here

The tree is trimmed; presents are nestled beneath. Cookies are baking in the oven; their aroma fills the house. Carols happily play on the stereo, a festive wreath hangs on the front door, and holiday cards are displayed. From all outward appearances, my home looks like many Christian households. However: Ritual is not to be equated with religious belief.

I enjoy the trappings of the holiday, but the reason I celebrate is not a religious one. My holiday is purely secular...in fact, I only call it Christmas because it is socially convenient to do so. Christmas for me is, and has been for many years, a time to appreciate family and friends, indulge in food and fun, and reflect on the year that is rapidly coming to a close. No god required.

This year has been kind: while the sorrow of my son’s loss still looms large in my life, there have been happy times to be grateful for. My loved ones are, for the most part, healthy and happy. I have a roof over my head, food in the fridge, a few dollars in the bank, and a loving husband to share my life with. To ask for more might seem greedy when there are people truly suffering in the world, so I am trying to be content.

I wish you peace, contentment and joy this holiday season, however you choose to celebrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home