Random Thoughts by MommaSquid

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Screw the Airport

Assuming my vacation destination is less than 1000 miles away I think I’d rather drive than put up with the aggravation of airport security. It will certainly cut down on annoying searches, seizures, dehydration, and sitting next to a fat guy who is using my armrest.

Considering the amount of time it takes to:
• drive to the airport (20 min.)
• park and take a shuttle to the terminal (30 min.)
• walk through the airport (20 min.)
• stand in line at the security check point (60 min.+)
• check in, wait for boarding (90 min.)
• board (20 min.)
• fly (3 hrs.)
• disembark(20 min.)
• pick up luggage(30 min.)
• walk through airport and wait for taxi or shuttle(30 min.)
• taxi to hotel (20 min.)

This process takes about 8 hours. I would rather get in my car and take an 8 hour road trip. Sure, gas is expensive but so is airfare. Plus, the aggravation of flying has increased and is now nearly beyond my ability to tolerate. First they make me take off my shoes, my coat, empty my pockets, and check my unlocked luggage filled with all of my belongings (which I always fear I may never see again). Then I get to sit in an uncomfortable seat next to people I don’t know; I can’t use my phone, I can only use my laptop and mp3 player when they say I may, and if I try to go to the bathroom when the seatbelt sign is illuminated I run the risk of being tackled by a flight attendant.

I live near Phoenix and there are hundreds of places to go and things to do that are within 8 hours of my home. I can go to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, New Mexico, Texas; and the list goes on.

Road trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home